I hate to brag, but I have one amazing hydrangea bush in my yard. This bush is enormous and full of color. It’s a Kaleidoscopic Hydrangea, which is a firework display of bursting colors embracing many shades of blue, pink, purple and green blossoms. My mom was a bit jealous of my growing techniques pertaining to this garden marvel and she would often tease me about this bush. I would claim to be a fantastic gardener, and she would simply state that I just had really good dirt. So I would gladly share my blue ribbon blossoms with her (and many of my friends). I wanted the containers to sparkle as well, so I came up with this little ditty. My mom would have really enjoyed this craft, I miss her so.
You will need:
- A clean jar – pickle, spaghetti, salsa any reusable jar
- Colored paper that coordinates with the ribbon you’ve chosen
- Scrapbooking embellishments (I have a ton of these. I pick them up whenever I see them on sale. I’ve never used them in an actual scrapbook project, but I use them in many of my other projects. Hopefully someday I’ll have a chance to scrapbook)
- Scrapbooking mounting squares or I bet a glue gun would work good too
- Hole punch
- Colored rubber bands (string or ribbon would work well also)
- First, wash and dry your jar. Remove all the labels from it.
- Wrap the ribbon around the jar, cut to fit. Place scrapbooking mounting squares on the backside of the ribbon (in many areas) so the ribbon won’t slip. Adhere the ribbon to the jar.
- Using our template (flowertags), print the template on coordinating paper stock. Cut out the tag and circle. Adhere the circle to the jar (with mounting squares), add scrapbooking embellishments (I used these amazing little self-adhesive gems. I also have found self-adhesive pearls that work nice too). Hole punch the tag and slip a rubber band through the hole, attach it to the mouth of the jar.
- Fill jar with water and your prized posies. When filling your jar, be careful not to get water on your decorations.
Your recipient will be thinking how clever and environmentally thoughtful you are.