I relish the idea of having a wall dedicated to holiday appropriate white plates that could be changed out every season. I started pricing out plain, white, ceramic plates and quickly found out that my vision well exceeded my pocket book. So I came up with this.
You will need:
- White paper plates (The plates I used were coated on one side and had a pearly white color to them, plain white plates will work as well. Check the party area in your store.)
- Mod Podge
- Paint brush
- Scrapbooking silhouettes, check your local craft store (I found mine at a ‘Dollar Tree’ store, they were a buck a piece for a pack of 15)
- File folder without pockets
- Black glitter (optional)
- Black marker (optional)
- Blue painter’s tape
- Cover work surface with wax paper or some type of plastic sheeting so the Mod Podge will not stick to the surface.
- Adhere silhouette to plate with Mod Podge.
- Cover/paint silhouette and entire plate with Mod Podge, allow to fully dry.
- Make ringlets with blue tape, place ringlets onto back of plate, attach paper plate to wall. Be careful with the blue tape. Some DO state on the packaging that if it’s left on a surface for a long period of time, it will become permanent. Read manufactures labeling.
If you want to further embellish your creation – highlight areas of your plate with glitter.
- Paint the edge of the plate with Mod Podge or a certain area of the silhouette (owl’s tree branch) or the entire silhouette.
- Sprinkle black glitter on top of the Mod Podge.
- Shake of excess glitter. I left some glitter behind on my plate to add to the spookiness.
Hint: Shake off excess glitter over file folder. Slightly fold file folder and pour remaining glitter back into glitter container.
You could also create your own silhouettes using a black Sharpie® marker or black paint. Research images on the internet for reference.
When storing plates, place a sheet of wax paper between them so they won’t stick together.
You can switch out plates every season/holiday.